Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Aftershock

Since I have left Japan, it has been a little more than a month. As a matter of fact, just a few days again was the date of our arrival in Japan last year, March 18. (Can you imagine all the new kids arriving in Japan for the first day, not knowing what to expect, who they will meet? I worry for their sanity in the future). It certainly is unbelievable how quickly time flies by. One year already, too soon, too fun, and all gone. All there is left now are the memories...and this lovely short essay I was made to write as part of the requirements of my scholarship I received.
This is how it goes:

AFS Post Program Essay

My one year AFS experience in Japan was the most memorable event in my life. I had the chance to learn so much in one year, about the culture, language, and people of a different country. It has certainly been an unbelievable once in a lifetime opportunity that I consider myself to be fortunate to have had. I have had the opportunity to meet many new people and make lifetime friends. This AFS experience has made an incredible impact on my life and left me with many unforgettable memories.

From the beginning, I had no idea what to expect of when I arrived in Japan, a country in which I had absolutely no knowledge of their language and culture. As the year went on, I gradually became use to the lifestyle and found that I was even beginning to understand the language. Throughout the year, I worked and studied hard by applying myself to my everyday life in Japan. Although there were many incidents in when I was placed in uncomfortable situations, I considered these times as opportunities to test my strength. Through all the discrimination and mistreatment I received, I was able to overcome the obstacles in my way. Day by day, I improved and understood the true importance of my position just a little bit more than I had before. Without giving up, I have found myself in a new place in the world. I persevered through the year and the satisfaction and happiness that I have come to possess is evidence enough for my efforts.

I have learned the importance of relationships. It is due to the help and encouragement of my friends that I was able to make the most of my year in Japan. Together with my friends, we have accomplished an uncountable number of goals and enjoyed our life in Japan to the fullest. I do not believe a single day went by empty or uninteresting. My friends have contributed to the majority of my memories in Japan, such as going to Hiroshima with my AFS chapter or to Hokkaido with my schoolmates. I consider myself fortunate to have met so many great people, Japanese or from any other country, and I am also thankful for being able to have met such caring and kind people along the way who have helped me out.

Having to leave Japan was the most difficult part of the year. As well as everyone else, my only wish was to stay longer. I believe that when I grow up, I will return to Japan and until then, I hope to be able to frequently go back to visit. I have come to realize the value of all of my relationships, and I hope that I will be able to keep my relationships from Japan intact. I hope to continue to study Japanese for this sake.

All the life-changing experiences that I have been through will definitely stay with me for the rest of my life, and I will use this to my advantage. With the knowledge and wisdom that I have gained this past year, I will be sure to apply this to my life, starting now. This has been a very rewarding experience, and I have been able to learn just a bit more about myself as well as the rest of the world. I am very grateful for this wonderful opportunity from AFS.

2 comments:

  1. (random person) This was a nice heart warming entry! I hope you do go back to Japan.:D

    ReplyDelete